The disk based Mac/65 comes with OSS (FTE) DOS XL. While DOS XL is a strong DOS, it’s not my favorite. I wanted a SpartaDOS based Mac/65. This is how I did it.
I showed you how to create a 720K disk image for use in the Atari 8 bit emulators in this blog entry. First stop, create that image (with DOS installed on it – all files). Instead of naming it SD720K, name it something like “MAC65SD” for Mac/65 SpartaDOS.
- Start the Atari emulator.
- Insert your new SpartaDOS 3.2g in disk 1.
- Insert your Mac/65 4.2 disk in disk 2.
- Cold boot the Atari from the emulator.
- Proceed when the SpartaDOS “D1:” prompt appears.
- Copy the following files from the Mac/65 disk to your new disk image. They are boxed in red in the image. The names are:
IOMAC.LIB SYSEQU.ASM SYSEQU.M65 SAMPLE.M65 SAMPLE.COM MAC65.COM
- Use the SpartaDOS copy command to copy them from D2 to D1 (assuming your Mac/65 4.2 disk is in drive 2 and your new SpartaDOS image is in drive 1):
COPY D2:IOMAC.LIB D1: COPY D2:SYSEQU.* D1: COPY D2:SAMPLE.* D1: COPY D2:MAC65.COM D1:
- Verify the files made it by looking at the directory of your new SpartaDOS image (boxed in green in the image):
- Eject the Mac/65 4.2 disk from drive 2, you no longer need it.
- From the SpartaDOS “D1:” prompt, enter “MAC65” to run Mac/65: